Thursday, October 17, 2013

CREC: Ordination Examination

For the past four months I have been working with the Ordination Examination Committee of Knox Presbytery (CREC), in preparation for my Oral Examination, which took place this past Tuesday (10/15/13) at Presbytery. The Oral Examination took place on the floor of Presbytery, overseen by the Committee, and after the examination concluded the Presbytery went into executive session, deliberated, and voted to recommend me to the local Session at CCRC for ordination.

The Ordination Examination process was long and hard: I worked with the Committee, which involved interviews, phone calls, emails, research/writing papers, filling out pastoral case studies and written exams, etc. I am thankful for how God manifested his glory during the process. It was spiritually rewarding. I am, however, thankful to be finished. Although it is an oversimplification, in general this is what I did in order to prepare for my ordination examination:

Systematic Theology

I worked through my notes from Beeke and Ferguson's Reformed Confessions Harmonized, Williamson's WCF for Study Classes, Turretin's Institutes, and Calvin's Institutes.

Bible

I worked through my notes for Bible, e.g., comprehension, book outlines, lists, characters, etc.

Ordination Study Guide

I filled out and reviewed the CREC's ordination study guide.

Church History and the Trinity

I thumbed through several volumes on Church History and the Trinity, e.g., Shelley, Placher, Curtis, and Letham.

Exegesis Papers, Written Exams, and Case Studies

I reviewed the exegesis papers, written exams, and pastoral case studies I turned into the committee as requirements during the ordination examination process.

In hindsight, I wish I had spent more time figuring out what I didn't know. I should have been more systematic about determining where the gaps were for both doctrinal/biblical knowledge and pastoral reflection and wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment