Saturday, May 10, 2008

Evangelicalism

Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven. Matthew 10:27-33

But he (Stephen), being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, and said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Acts 7:55-56

Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. 1 Timothy 6:12

7 comments:

  1. So glad you posted this. I was looking for the passage from St. Matthew's gospel today, but couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND, I am especially glad you did not COMPLAIN about modern evangelicalism! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as Jesus made the good confession before Pontius Pilate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering about this . . . does this mean that we should proclaim loudly even if Christ did not "shout or cry aloud in the streets" (see chapter 12)? Is that why Paul suffered so much, because he preached so hard, and was not ashamed of the gospel?

    Which is more challenging? Preaching truth to individuals, or to the crowd? Which more intimidating?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should cry out loudly at times - for instance, Israel was commanded to shout and the walls of Jericho fell down. Also, if Christians are singing/chanting the songs of our Lord (Psalms), then it will be loud. You could try to do it quietly, but I don't think it would work very well. ;)

    I think Paul suffered because we are hated by all men for the name of Christ (Mt 10:22).

    I don't know which one is harder, preaching to an individual or a crowd. Personally, I find it harder to speak to crowds. However, consider that God has called us to worship and serve him in spirit and in truth, and if we do that obediently, then I don't think it really matters whether circumstantial elements fluctuate (e.g. people/crowds, loud/quiet, in French/English tongue, etc). If we are truly serving the Lord in spirit, then

    ReplyDelete