Monday, January 13, 2014

Know Thyself: Note-Taking or Active Listening?

"Many people find note-taking helpful in retaining the teaching of a sermon. An elderly woman told me, "I take thorough sermon notes. When I bow my knees on Sunday evening, I put my notes in front of me, underline those things that I should strive to put into practice, and then pray through them one at a time." For many people taking notes helps them remember specific ways in which God challenges their hearts. Recognize, however, that note-taking is not for everyone. For some people, writing gets in the way of active listening, because it makes them lose their train of thought. In that case, note taking does more harm than good. Do whatever helps you remember and pray over the sermons you hear" (Joel R. Beeke, The Family at Church: Listening to Sermons and Attending Prayer Meetings, 26).

For example: I have a friend who is an artist. When he takes notes for sermons, he draws illustrations pertaining to the sermon's subject matter, points of application, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment